85+ Family Activity Ideas and Tips for More Family Bonding
If you’re looking for ways to create more meaningful family time, you’re in luck! In this blog post, we will provide over 85 ideas and 25 tips for bonding together to get you started. From things to do together as a family, to questions to ask each other, to places to go, we have you covered. We know how busy life can be and that it’s not always easy to find time for quality bonding moments with our loved ones. But it is definitely worth the effort!
87 Family Activity Ideas
No matter how old your children are, carving out time to spend together as a family is important. Here are 87 things you can do together as a family to create a more meaningful time together, whether it’s on a weekend or after dinner once or twice a week.
- Play Games Together
- Go On Walks Or Hikes
- Cook Or Bake Together
- Have Picnics In The Park
- Do A Family-Friendly Activity Together (Bowling, Laser Tag, Etc.)
- Volunteer Together
- Go Stargazing
- Tell Each Other Stories
- Make A Photo Album Or Scrapbook
- Do A Puzzle Together
- Plant A Garden
- Build Something Together (A Fort, A Gingerbread House, Etc.)
- Visit A Museum
- Weekly Movie Night (Outside)
- Play Tag
- Have A Water Balloon Fight
- Fly Kites
- Have A Dance Party
- Make S’mores Around The Campfire
- Have A Themed Dinner Night
- Have A Family Game Night
- Make Homemade Ice Cream
- Play Tourist And Explore Your Own City
- Have A Water Gunfight
- Have An Indoor Picnic
- Have A Nerf Gun War
- Build An Obstacle Course
- Play Truth Or Dare
- Play “Would You Rather”
- Karaoke Night
- Have A Pizza, Taco, Pancake, Or Sundae Bar
- Have A Bake-Off
- Have A Guessing Game Night
- Play Charades
- Make Up Your Own Family Olympics
- Have An Indoor Scavenger Hunt
- Have A Build-A- Fort Night
- Watch Family Movies From When You Were Growing Up
- Play Tag In The Sprinkler
- Have A Spelling Bee
- Learn Asl Together
- Have An Indoor Camping Trip
- Watch The Sunrise Or Sunset Together
- Have A Conversation Starters Jar To Pull From
- Write Letters To Family Members Who Live Far Away
- Have A Themed Movie Marathon (All Disney Movies, All Superhero Movies, Etc.)
- Have An At-Home Spa Day
- Learn How To Make Different Types Of Cuisine From Around The World
- Have A Board Game Tournament
- Make Homemade Holiday Decorations Together
- Have A “No Screens” Day
- Go On A Nature Scavenger Hunt
- Make A Family Time Capsule
- Have A Pajama Day
- Read Together As A Family
- Write And Perform A Play Or Skit
- Make A Family Bucket List
- Have Family Trivia Night
- Watch A Movie In Reverse
- Learn How To Knit Or Crochet Together
- Learn How To Play Musical Instruments Together
- Go To A Play Or Musical
- Have A Talent Show
- Create Your Own Family Crest
- Have An Art Night
- Take Family Photos Together
- Make Breakfast In Bed For Each Other
- Have A Build-A-Tower Contest
- Play Jenga
- Make Your Own Board Game
- Have An Ugly Sweater Contest
- Learn How To Do Magic Tricks
- Have A Snowball Fight (If You Live In A Place Where It Snows)
- Go Skiing
- Go To A Waterpark
- Visit A Petting Zoo
- Make A Family Tree
- Do Science Experiments Together
- Visit A Planetarium
- Start A Garden Together
- Have A Scavenger Hunt In Your Neighborhood
- Go Berry Picking
- Make Jam Or Jelly
- Visit An Aquarium
- Visit A Farm
- Have A Picnic In The Park
- Do A Puzzle Together
Tips For Bonding As A Family: 25 Ways To Build Stronger Connections
In addition to spending time together, there are also things you can do to bond as a family. Here are 25 tips to get you started.
- Make sure to have quality time together without distractions like phones or TVs.
- Talk about things other than day-to-day happenings to get to know each other on a deeper level.
- Do things together that everyone can enjoy.
- Take turns to do things that each person enjoys.
- Be respectful of each other’s opinions and feelings.
- Encourage each other and build each other up.
- Be patient with each other.
- Learn how to apologize and mean it.
- Forgive each other when mistakes are made.
- Be there for each other during tough times.
- Celebrate each other’s successes.
- Pray together or meditate together if you have a shared spirituality.
- Create traditions that you can do together as a family.
- Take care of each other when someone is sick.
- Make time for each other even when life gets busy.
- Check-in with each other regularly.
- Don’t take each other for granted.
- Tell each other how much you love and appreciate each other.
- Spend time together doing things that are just for fun.
- Do things together that are meaningful and have a purpose.
- Help each other out when help is needed.
- Be supportive of each other’s dreams and goals.
- Be there for each other through the good times and the bad.
- Cherish each moment you have together as a family.
- Focus on having fun together!
The list goes on and on! The most important thing is to spend time together doing things that everyone enjoys. And don’t forget, quality time doesn’t have to be expensive or time-consuming. Sometimes the simplest things can make the biggest impact. And don’t forget to mix things up! Rotating through different activities will keep things fresh and ensure that everyone stays engaged.