Last updated on January 24th, 2023 at 05:13 pm
It is almost expected for babies to go through a stage when they look fussy, irritable; they may also cry or scream for no reason. Not knowing how to soothe your crying baby can be very challenging.
Colic in babies
A baby being colic can be described as the stage where a baby cries excessively. Colicky babies can cry regardless of the time of the day, but it is perceived to happen more in the afternoons. It starts mostly when a child is about two weeks old till around twelve weeks. A child’s stage of being colic usually doesn’t exceed six months. Some babies may appear colic than others.
Pediatricians define colic using Wessel’s Criteria which is referred to as rule of 3’s, which is “inconsolable crying for 3 hours per day, at least 3 hours per day, 3 times in a week, for at least 3 months”.
Colic may come by the clenching of fists, arching of the back, or tensing of the abdomen. The reason for colic also defers in babies. And necessitate the need to research and find out about the Best formula for Colic and Reflux
Reflux in babies
Reflux occurs when colic gets complicated and that mostly happens when your baby displays signs of abnormality after feeding. It occurs in many babies rampantly but can be rectified not quite long. It usually occurs before your baby clocks 8 weeks but tends to erase when she turns 1.
Symptoms of colic in babies
- When your baby is frowning as well as grimacing.
- A baby with colic may also present with reddening of the face.
- The baby may tend to pull up its legs, suggesting stomach pains.
- There may be loud screaming for a long time.
- When your baby’s tummy rumbles loudly.
- The baby is inconsolable.
- The cry lasts for three hours or more.
- The baby coincidentally poos around the time the crying stops.
Symptoms of reflux in babies
- Bringing up milk or being sick during or shortly after feeding
- Coughing or hiccupping when feeding
- Crying and persistent irritation
- Unsettled nature during feeding
- Swallowing or gulping
- Refusal to eat
- Stool that is bloody
- Vomit that looks greenish
- Difficulty in breathing
9 Possible causes of colic in babies
Although the leading cause of colic in babies is unknown, the following may be the reason for colic in a baby;
- Gassiness: Babies swallow air when they cry, and all the trapped air can make a baby feel uncomfortable.
- Indigestion: This may happen if the baby’s digestive system is yet to develop if there is an imbalance of healthy bacteria found in the digestive system.
- Temperament: Some babies are highly irritable than others.
- Hyper or Hypo Sensitivity to nature: This may occur when the nervous system of a baby is immature.
- Acid reflux or gastroesophageal reflux disease: The liquid in the baby’s tummy may travel back to the throat due to the sphincter’s immature development.
- Overfeeding and underfeeding.
- Family stress or tension.
- Underlying disease.
- Food allergies
Causes of reflux in babies
Reflux happens due to the effect of muscles at the base of your baby’s food pipe if they have fully developed or are yet to, to ensure the flow of milk back to its base. As your baby’s muscles grow, the act would cease
The best formula for colic and reflux: Buying Guide and Recommendations
1.Â Â Gerber Good Start Soothe â€“ (Most affordable)
This formula is filled with lactose, so it is advised you do not use it yet if the cause of the reflux is still unknown. It has some good bacteria, which can be beneficial for your baby, who needs plenty of it. Some bacterias like Limosilactobacillus reuteri are good, and your baby might need more of it, and when this formula finishes its work, the probability that the reflux in your baby will erase is very high.
2.Â NeuroPro Baby Formula (Best quality)
This is one of the best formulas for reflux in babies. It is very significant to use if you need a transition formula, i.e., switching from one to another effectively. It is the only formula with a fat-protein blend of MFGM & DHA, which enhances brain development.
3.Â Enfamil Nutramigen (Best for allergies)
This formula can be classified as a hypoallergenic one and can be used by babies who do not have the opportunity of milk-based options or soy. It is capable of aiding your baby to outgrow any allergic reaction she displays. It needs to be refrigerated once the seal is broken but try to warm it a bit if you notice your baby reacts adversely to a cold bottle.
4.Â Baby’s only organic formula â€“ (Best organic formula)
If you are looking for a well-rounded formula, this is your pick. The babyâ€™s only organic formula consists of every nutrient your infant needs to grow. It contains protein, vitamins, essential fats, and carbohydrates. Its lack of GMO makes it safe for cognitive development.
Although it is quite costly, it gives speedy colic relief; definitely worth the price.
5.Â Enfamil A.R. Infant Formula – (Best formula for reflux)
If your infant feeds more on formulas, her chances of reflux would be high. The Enfamil A.R is a thickened formula made of starch to help formulas settle efficiently.
If you are looking to reduce your infantâ€™s split-up episodes, this formula has proven to be able to solve this issue by a remarkable 50%.
6.Â Similac NeoSure Infant Formula (Best for preemies)
Whatâ€™s amazing about this formula is that it has no artificial hormone growth stimulator. Instead, it contains vitamins and minerals, energy, and protein to help enhance a babyâ€™s growth. If your baby was born prematurely, you donâ€™t have to worry about her growth as far as you use this formula.
The Similac Neosure Infant formula also helps suffice as a substitute for breast milk. Unlike other formulas, it can be easily digested just like breast milk. It also helps regulate your babyâ€™s excretal schedule