This Ultimate Guide contains my wild rose cleanse review, wild rose detox food list, wild rose detox recipes, as well as a summary of the plan itself.
This post may contain affiliate links. For my full disclosure policy click here.
The Wild Rose Herbal D-Tox Plan Summarized
The Wild Rose Herbal D-tox, also know as the Wild Rose Cleanse or Detox, is a 12 day program where you follow a strict food guideline and consume herbal supplements. The program was developed by Dr. Terry Willard, PhD in 1975.
The eating plan is focused on removing wheat, dairy and sugar from your diet with a strong focus on eating vegetables, whole grains (brown rice is most recommended) and limiting meat.
The creator of the detox claims that the program provides “a complete multi-system detoxification of the colon and kidneys; acts on the urinary tract and the gastrointestinal system; and has an effect on the liver”
Why you should try the Wild Rose Herbal D-tox
- You are feeling sluggish
- You have picked up bad eating habits
- You need a kick start to a cleaner diet
The Herbal D-tox program consists of four herbal formulas, 3 in tablet form and 1 in liquid form. Combined with the diet, which is based on foods that fall under 3 categores: acid, alkaline and neutral.
The program’s kit comes with a guide book and all 4 herbal formulas.
You can purchase the program online from:
Amazon (US Site)
Some large health stores also carry the kit.
“A Herbal D-Tox is easier than you think. It should be a time of celebration and rediscovery of your taste buds. With foods from other lands. You might discover you like eating this way.”Terry Willard , Cl.H.,Ph.D.
Containing black radish root, European barberry root, dandelion root and a few other herbs, Biliherb is said to stimulate bile production by the liver which helps proper digestion and enhances the absorption of dietary fats.
Achieves what the name eludes to, it acts as a natural laxative. Made up of mostly Cascara Sagrada Bark and Alder Buckthorn Bark, this herb combination was chosen to cleanse the intestinal tract.
Red Clover Blossoms are the top ingredient in this blend, which cleanse the bloodstream, ridding the muscle and lymphatic system tissue of toxic waste material and metabolic by-products. These wastes exit the body via the urinary tract system.
CL Herbal Extract
The only liquid blend of herbs, this mixture concentrates on cleaning the urinary tract. Its main ingredient is Licorice Root.
Wild Rose Cleanse Review
I typically follow the Wild Rose cleanse twice a year. Once in the spring and once in the fall. This frequency is recommended by the Wild Rose detox.
When I feel myself off track with my eating and needing a kick in the butt, I buy my trusty Wild Rose detox kit and get back to healthy eating.
The below are based on my experiences with the plan. Keep in mind everyone’s reactions will be different depending on your body and recent eating habits.
- You feel results pretty quickly. The first few days you may be a little sluggish depending on how much sugar and carbs you had in your diet. But by day 4 that goes away and you feel great
- You sleep better
- Weight Loss/Water Loss – Cleaning up my diet helps shed a few pounds – I typically lose about 10 lbs when doing this cleanse. I also find this detox helps me shed a lot of the extra water my body had been holding onto. Diet and losing some water, both get my weight down on the scale and my pants fitting better.
- You can still eat a LOT of food on this plan. There isn’t any calorie counting and you can eat unlimited amounts of the 80% food. Meat, vegetables and rice keeps me full so I don’t end up feeling starved.
- Eating this clean takes planning and can be time consuming when first starting out (I am a veteran now and reuse my shopping list and meal plan – see below recipes for food examples – so it doesn’t take as much time now)
- Eating this clean can be expensive. Pasta and sandwiches can be pretty cheap meals, when you are focused on vegetables (preferably organic) it can add up. Frozen organic vegetables can help reduce costs, but I do spend more on groceries when following this plan. Especially the first week’s load up.
- You need to modify your workouts. If you are working out consistently before starting you may want to slow down your workouts during the 12 days.
- You will visit the bathroom more. Even if you reduce the amount of Laxaherb you take.
Wild Rose Detox Food List
The below is adapted from the Wild Rose Herbal D-Tox Guide
Wild Rose Detox Recipes
Wild Rose Detox Recipes – Breakfast
Breakfast can be a challenge on this plan if you are used to eating a breakfast sandwich or other meat heavy dish. These recipes below are easy to prepare and can be made or re-heated in a few minutes for busy mornings.
Other Breakfast ideas:
- Rice cakes with almond butter topped with berries – 80%
- Veggie Omelet – eggs (20%), vegetables and butter/oil (80%).
Wild Rose Detox Recipes – Lunch & Dinner
Tips & Tricks for Success
1. Almonds are your friend – keep a bag of almonds with you at all times for easy snacking
2. Only take 1 Laxaherb instead of 2 – If you’re brave you can take 2 to start and see how you do, but I find 1 twice a day is more than enough.
3. Skinny Pop! – You can make your own popcorn, but it’s easier to buy pre-popped. The Skinny Pop brand is Wild Rose friendly. Popcorn becomes dessert when I do the cleanse. You are allowed butter so it is yummy and satisfying
4. Rice cakes and Almond butter – this is an easy snack. After work, before dinner I am usually looking for a quick snack and this one does the job
5. Plan Ahead – You can’t successfully complete the cleanse without a plan. You need a meal plan and fully stocked fridge to be successful
6. Don’t give up after the first few days – it will be tough. You will miss your favorite foods, but after the first few days you feel better and get into a routine. Its only 12 days!
7. Batch cook – make a big batch of rice or quinoa at the beginning of the week so you have it on hand and it saves time. I also make a bigger portion of dinner and either repeat the next night or have it for lunch.
8. Do it with a friend or spouse – having a buddy makes it easier. Even if your partner, spouse, roommate doesn’t follow the diet exactly – giving them the heads up will prevent them from trying to tempt you.
I recommend the Wild Rose Herbal D-Tox cleanse. It is a great jump-start to healthier eating and helps clear out the body after holidays and summer barbeques. With any new program please consult your doctor before trying the Wild Rose D-Tox.