Use this guide to plan your perfect fall with your baby. Full of baby sensory activities for fall including fall crafts, autumn books and seasonal food favorites.
This post may contain affiliate links. For my full disclosure policy click here.
Why Fall is a Great Time of Year for Babies
Gone are the days where you have to worry about heat and too much sun exposure – enter cool weather, crisp air and new experiences for you little one.
1. Sensory Opportunities Everywhere
Leaves, pumpkins, pine cones and apples are all wonderful opportunities to expose your baby to new textures, tastes and smell. Below is a collection of baby sensory activities to try this autumn.
- This is a clothes off activity - they will get messy, probably try to eat some pumpkin (no harm - just watch the seeds) and will throw the pumpkin guts around
- Set your baby up on the floor (keep close by to keep them safe). If its warm enough you can head outside.
- Give them a big spoon and bowl
- Have the bath ready and don't expect them to scoop out the whole pumpkin - the younger the baby the shorter the activity
If your little one isn’t quite ready to help carve the pumpkin (can’t scoop, sit on their own, etc) then create a pumpkin “guts” sensory bag for them.
Our friend over at Messy Little Monster will tell you how.
Place you baby on your lap (lay them across your lap if they don’t have head control yet) then gently wave fragrant items past their little nose while you tell them what their smelling.
Slice of orange
A bag of leaves
Pumpkin pie spice
Tummy time is so important for babies. Bringing it outside mixes it up for them and you!
2. Fall photos
Another fall activity for babies, is more for mom and dad, but photo shoots during this beautiful time of year are a must.
Fall Baby Must Have Photos:
- In a pile of leaves
- Next to a pumpkin/in a pumpkin/pumpkin patch
- In a Halloween costume
- At the apple orchard
To up the cuteness factor even more, pick up a cute fall outfit for the occasion.
These are our favorites:
3. Fall baby food
If baby is starting to eat purees or solids now is the time to introduce the following foods that are in season.
Conclusion: Everything Fall for Baby: Crafts, Activities, Food & Books
Sweater weather is here and your baby is about to have so much this fall with the help of the above ideas. I would love to see your fall photos – you can find me on instagram at instagram.com/mominthesix